What to do when I have a problem with MX
The Cumulus MX FAQ page is (as I type this) being updated to answer a lot of the questions you might have.
If that does not help...
If your question relates do an ongoing problem with using MX, then please follow these instructions, don't just post "Help me":
- ) Make the MXDiags useful by turning on debugging:
- In admin interface Settings tab, station settings, Options section, select debug logging (and if communications between weather station and MX are relevant select data logging). This adds a lot of extra information to the log designed to help answer questions when someone has a problem.
- Alternatively, restart MX with debugging turned on by adding Parameter_for_adding_debugging.
- ) If your problem relates to uploading to your remote web server, then in admin interface, settings tab, internet settings screen, Web/FTP settings section, about 2/3 way down, select FTP logging (this may not help if you use a secure transfer method).
- ) Leave MX running for a while, hopefully long enough for several instances of your problem to reoccur
- ) Stop MX
- ) zip the latest file updated in CumulusMX/MXDiags folder. Add into zip, any log files that seem relevant to your question, and any other files you have modified from their content in the MX distribution if those files are relevant to your problem. If in 2, you have selected ftp logging, add Ftplog.txt into zip.
- ) At this point you can optionally try restarting MX
- ) Now ask your question in the correct sub-forum Cumulus MX Current (releases since b3043) .
- ) Use the attachment tab below the posting window to upload your zip. In the post explain your problem, and quote any settings (do not disclose passwords) that might be relevant. Also state what device you are running MX on, and on what device you view the admin interface. If using FTP is relevant, then state which protocol you have selected.
- ) If your problem relates to uploading, some information on your web server structure can help.
- ) If your problem relates to the admin interface, state the exact URL for the relevant page.
- ) If your problem relates to web pages on your own web server (not server generated for the admin interface) say so, say whether you are using standard web pages or those by a third party or indeed your own creations, and (if relevant) quote PHP version being used.
- ) If your problem relates to database tables, state what database software you use (e.g. mySQL), at what MX version your tables if MX created them, or if created independent of MX, what schema they use (list of column names). Tell us if they are updated by MX standard uploads, by custom uploads, or by your own routines.
- ) Given the right information, as listed above, permits other people to answer your question easily.
If your question does not directly relate to using MX, then there are other sub-forums available at Cumulus Support Forum where you can post your question giving relevant supporting information, that might include a link to a web page relating to your problem.